NEW Dining Room Exhibit
Recently reopened to the public after several years, the Thilman Dining Room is one of the oldest rooms in the Tavern. Two walls have been left unfinished to expose the construction techniques of the 1791 house that forms part of Hanover Tavern today. Original period furniture made between 1780 and 1830 fills the dining room, which we plan to interpret as the dining room of William Thilman, owner of Hanover Tavern from 1821-1829. William Thilman was the last member of the Thilman family to own the Tavern. His grandfather, Paul Thilman Sr., owned the Tavern during the Revolutionary War, and his father, Paul Thilman Jr., owned the Tavern during Gabriel’s Rebellion in 1800. William Thilman built the new Hanover Tavern that now forms part of our building around 1822. The furniture on display in the dining room ranges from eighteenth century high-style chairs that would have been outdated by the 1820s to more utilitarian pieces of Southern craftsmanship such as cupboards and a work table. Several of these pieces are for sale, with proceeds supporting the mission of the Hanover Tavern Foundation.
Click here to learn about historic Nutshell, a house with ties to the Tavern’s history that was demolished in 2016.
Visit the display cases in our main lobby to see artifacts uncovered during the restoration of the Tavern and construction of the Coach House!